Monday 4 January 2010

WRITING STYLE 3

Do You Think It Is A Good Idea For Novel’s or Films To Be Made Into musical Production?

I suppose that a Novel being made into a Musical Production is not a bad idea if the issue’s being portrayed have a certain message/ point to get across to the audience, however it can also be argued that doing such a thing and providing a musical is just a money making scheme.

I think that Les Miserables is a very good example of how a musical can succeed because not only is the message clear with the play ( French Revoultion, redemption and change) but it has it’s entertainment factors such as Sadness and Humour ( sadness- Fatine dying, humour- the Land lords and the comedy they illustrate) that has been brought to life from the novel. Les Mis is the first musical that became a musical transformed into a film, it usual happens that when a novel or film has been brought out it is then that a musical production will be thought of, however Les Mis has done it the other way round, it is a novel in it’s own right written by the famous Victor Hugo, which later became a musical and lastly a film.

Some people argue that when turning a film or novel well especially a novel into a musical, you are taking away the value of the story within the novel, either but editing bits out or changing some of the actual storyline. With a Novel you can really use your imagination to picture the scene’s or character’s, but when you have a big production such as Les Mis right in front of your eye’s then you do not have to use you imagination anymore. This is why parent’s think that this generation and generation’s to come ar not using their brain’s enough, in a way it is like we are being to lazy because we have everything laid out for us so that we do not have to use our minds.

This is where I think that how some people think is this is just a money –making scheme, because all the money the production team spend to create the set or props, or all the time and money gone into advertising and the prices for tickets and programmes, well let’s just say it all add’s up and cost’s a lot too. This is saying to me well, do not use your brain and stick to the good old fashion way of just reading but come spend your money on tickets and programmes and food for the night to relax, not use your brain and just open you eyes and watch what is in front of you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,

    Good to see your academic piece up. I like the idea of your debate, your title reads, ‘Do You Think It Is A Good Idea For Novel’s or Films To Be Made Into musical production?’ I found myself becoming a little confused with your example of Les Mis as you say “Les Mis is the first musical that became a musical transformed into a film” as I originally thought that it contradicts with your question but after reading it again I understood. Personally I would look at the opposite angle of your title which might be, Should musicals be turned into films? You could use Mamma Mia, Oliver etc as an example of this being a positive argument. Don’t feel you have to use this at all, it’s just an idea, your piece got my juices flowing- I wish I did a topic interesting as yours.

    Here is a few points to develop your piece:

    Quotes - you need to put in quotes from realaible sources, theatre reviews, the guardian, books and web to back up the facts you have stated. Especially with the last paragraph about a money-making scheme. If your not sure how to reference take a look at other people academic pieces or mine… I’m still looking around for ideas etc. A quote that you could try to find is in your paragraph three: “Some people argue that when turning a film or novel well especially a novel into a musical…” instead of you just saying it back it up, with someone’s voice, from a news article etc.

    Conclude - I think you need to conclude your piece you have started this in your last paragraph but you should have it separate, so are you saying it is good to put down the book and watch theatre? Also refer back to your question and summarise your writing, to prove a point, that it is good/bad or is ok to have a change as long as it does the novel/ film justices?

    Grammar and spelling- make sure you get someone to proof read your work. Make sure you don’t use abbreviations Eg: Les Mis.

    But great draft and angle to your academic piece, get sum references/quotes to back up your facts etc and your have a strong academic piece.

    Keep up the hard work not long to go, If you get the chance I would really appreciate it if you look at my academic piece and comment.

    Thank you Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    Great to see you have posted you work. I’m going to do it the old fashioned way by telling you what I think needs improving first.

    The nature of the text requires evidence from other professional sources, thus I feel that you fail to back up your arguments with any evidence. There were a few general spelling and grammar errors. I think proofreading would overcome this. The text lacks of two major components; quotes and evidence, therefore the writing style fails to pitch perfectly for the desired audience.

    I thought you remained objective throughout the text and the purpose of the text is clearly stated. However I’m not convinced of the argument you are trying to make. What you say could well be true but the lack of evidence states disbelief. When using phrases such as 'I think' or 'in my opinion' you need to back them up with evidence. I agree with the argument about society dumbing down and the worry of parents about children being spoon fed therefore not using their brains enough. I thought u argued that well.

    I think overall it’s a good draft. However with a few changes, looking back into some of the things I have pointed out you should have a strong piece.


    I hope my criticism has been constructive.

    Best of Luck
    Kel

    ReplyDelete